CashBox for Salesforce
Creating Rate Plans
From the Manage Rate Plan page, click Create Rate Plan to open the Create New Rate Plan page.
Note Both Usage Based and License Based Rate Plans use the same Tiered pricing rules.
Create New Rate Plan Page
To create a Rate Plan:
1. Enter descriptive Rate Plan information.
- Enter a Rate Plan ID. (Required.)
- Enter a Description.
- Select a Unit, or Create a New Unit. Note: You must define both the singular and the plural form of your Unit’s name, for use in CashBox Billing Statements, Reports, and other customer correspondence. (Required.)
- Select whether the Rate Plan will be Active on creation.
2. Define the Plan's billing parameters. (These parameters apply to both usage- and license-based Rate Plans.)
- Select a Rate Plan Model: usage based, or license based.
- Usage Based Rate Plans calculate your customer's bills based on the number of Units consumed over the course of a Billing Period. Your customer is billed after access occurs.
- License Based Rate Plans charge your customer based on a pre-defined number of licenses for your product. Your customer is billed in advance of access.
Note If no new Events are reported for a Billing Cycle, License Based Rate Plans will repeat the previous Billing Cycle’s reported use level; Usage Based Rate Plans will be reset to zero. If new Events are recorded, License Based Rate Plans replace the old reported use value with the new; Usage Based Rate Plans add the new value to the old, for a new total number of reported Events. For more information on reporting Rate Plan Events, see the CashBox API and Programming Guides.
- Define the basis for the Rate Plan’s calculations: per unit, or by a flat fee.
- per unit calculates charges per individual unit (multiplies the number of units reported for a Billing Cycle, by the appropriate Tier Price).
- flat fee calculates charges per Tier (charges the defined Tier Price, based on the number of reported units, without additional calculation).
- Define how the Rate Plan will determine charges for the Billing Cycle: by each respective Tier, or by the highest applicable Tier.
- Charges may be determined by the Price for the Tier at which individual Units occurred, or by the Price for the Tier at which the total number occurred.
- Setting the Rate Price for each respective tier calculates charges based on the Tier in which individual Units occur.
- Setting the Rate Price to the highest applicable Tier calculates charges based on the Tier in which the total number of Units for the Billing Cycle occur.
- Define the Currencies (or Tokens) for which the Plan will be available.
- Set the minimum and/or maximum charge that will be levied, per Billing Cycle, if desired. If these fields are defined, your customer will not be charged less than the Min Fee, or more than the Max Fee, for any given Billing Cycle, no matter their access level.
- Enter the number of Rated Units that will be included, without charge, for each Billing Cycle.
- Select the number of decimal places to which your units will be measured. This decimal position will define both the boundaries for this Rate Plan's Tiers, and the unit of accuracy that will be applied to logged access events. (CashBox will automatically round the total of any reported Units to this degree of accuracy before calculating Billing Cycle charges.)
3. Define the Rate Plan Tiers.
- Enter a Tier Name. (Required.)
- The Begins at Level is automatically calculated for each Tier, based on the Ends at Levelfor the previous Tier, plus one defined decimal place. The Begins at Level for the first Tier is 0 + your selected decimal value.
- Enter an Ends at Level. This is the sequential number of the last Unit that will be included in this Tier. (The final Tier in every Rate Plan ends at an infinite Level, to ensure that all levels of use will be included in the Plan._
- Define a Rate Price for the Tier, for each Currency selected in your Plan's Billing parameters. This value will be used to calculate the charge per Billing Cycle for the Rate Plan. (Required.)
4. Click Add Tier to add a new Tier to the Plan, if desired.
5. Add Custom Rate Plan Data, if desired.
6.Click Submit to save your changes, and create the Rate Plan.
Rate Plan charges are calculated using the following sequence:
- The number of Units reported for the Billing Cycle is totaled.
- If a number of Included Units has been defined, that number is subtracted from the total.
- The remaining reported Units are distributed in the appropriate Tiers, based upon the Begins and Ends at Levels for each Tier.
- Tier charges are calculated, based on the Logic defined for the Rate Plan, and a total charge for the Billing Cycle determined.
- This total is compared to the Min and Max Fees, if defined, and the resulting charge is levied against the AutoBill.
For more information on the fields available to Rate Plans, see CashBox Rate Plan Parameters.
Rate Plan Examples
For all examples, enter Rate Plan information, including the Rate Plan ID, Description, and Unit names, before defining the following Billing and pricing Tier parameters.
Example 1: High Use Surcharge Plan
Create a Rate Plan which charges a premium for high-use customers. For example, in a support call system, charge customers who call fewer than 1000 times $95 per call, but charge customers who call more than 2500 times $375 per call.
- Select Model: usage based.
- Charge customer per unit, and set the Rate Price to the highest applicable Tier.
- Leave the Included Units, Min Fee and Max Fee fields blank.
- Select Tier Levels have: 0 decimal places.
- Create three Tiers:
- The first Tier defines 1-999 (calls) at $95. (Tier Name: Minimal Use. Ends at Level: 999. Rate Price: 95 USD.)
- The second Tier defines 1000-2499 (calls) at $275; (Tier Name: Moderate Use. Ends at Level: 2499. Rate Price: 275 USD.)
- The third and final Tier defines more than 2500 calls at $375. (Tier Name: Excessive Use. Rate Price: 375 USD.)
Example 2: High Use Discount Plan
Create a Rate Plan which offers a discount for greater volume, but prices items according to a stepped, rather than sliding, pricing structure. For example, buy the first 100 stickers at $.10 each, and get the second hundred at $.05 each.
Stickers may be purchased in any number, but, with a flat fee model Rate Plan, the charge levied will always be the Rate Price for the applicable Tier, no matter the number of reported Rated Unit Events within that Tier.
- Select Model: usage based.
- Charge customer a flat fee, and set the Rate Price to each respective Tier.
- Leave the Min Fee and the Max Fee fields blank.
- Leave Included Units blank, and select Tier Levels have: 0 decimal places.
- For Tier 1, set Ends at Level to 100, and Rate Price to $10, and click Add Tier.
- For Tier 2, set Rate Price to $5.
Note With this Rate Plan model, customers will be entitled to unlimited access once they reach the highest pricing Tier.
Example 3: Bulk Discount Licensing Plan
Create a Licensing Plan which charges $295 each for the first 5 seats, and $275 for each additional seat.
- Select Model: license based.
- Charge customer per unit, and set the Rate Price for each respective Tier.
- Leave both the Min Fee and the Max Fee fields blank.
- Leave the Included Units field blank, and set the Tier Levels to 0 decimal places.
- For Tier 1, enter Ends at Level: 5, and Rate Price: $295.
- For Tier 2, enter Rate Price: $275.